Sunday, August 4, 2013

Chicken, Eggs, Soy, and Corn....Why Must You Guys Go Hand In Hand?

Last week was my reintroduction of eggs and unfortunately it wasn't very successful.  HOWEVER, I don't feel I can say with 100% certainty that I am egg intolerant.  You see, from what I have learned from JJ, the old saying, "You are what you eat," needs to have a disclaimer added or really needs to be changed to, "You are what you eat eats!"  With regards to chickens, most are fed a vegetarian diet which consists of corn and/or soy.  The problem being that chickens (and pigs) can't filter out a majority of allergens from their feed like animals with a rumen digestive system can (beef, lamb, deer).  So, if the chickens are fed soy, which I am intolerant to, the soy will be present in their eggs.  I searched locally and was unable to find soy-free, corn-free eggs.  This type of egg is difficult to find in markets because chickens are typically fed these items to help them produce more eggs which are needed by companies selling eggs to make a profit. 

I found a farm in Wisconsin that sells soy-free, corn-free eggs and I have ordered them.  I should receive them by the end of the week and I will be able to try the reintroduction again.   If I find I can eat the eggs without having any stomach issues, I will be one happy girl.  I will keep my fingers crossed!

To say I am getting educated is an extreme understatement.  I told Barry we just need to sell the condo and buy some acreage where we can grown our own fruits and vegetables and have a few chickens to produce eggs.  I feel like that is the only way I will have complete control over what I put in my body.

No comments: