Sunday, August 25, 2013

Not Your Granny's Meatloaf

I grew up eating meatloaf and it was always a favorite.  My family recipe called for lots of breadcrumbs and canned tomato soup; therefore, when I started The Virgin Diet I knew this was a dish that was off limits.  Then, as I perused the grocery store I found some items that I could substitute for the "bad" ingredients in the tried and true family recipe and decided to try a new Virgin friendly version.  When my 14 year old daughter told me the new meatloaf was better than the version she grew up eating, I knew I had a keeper.




Virgin Friendly Meatloaf
 
1 lb. Grass Fed Ground Beef
1 Egg
1 Onion, chopped
1 Carrot, peeled and chopped
1/3 c. Imagine Gluten Free Creamy Garden Tomato Soup
2 c. Rice Chex, crushed
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
Sugar Free Ketchup
 
Directions:
In a food processor, chop the onion and carrot.  In a bowl mix all ingredients.  Place mixture on the top of a broiler pan (this allows the oil from the meat to drain away from the meatloaf).  Drizzle the top of the meatloaf with ketchup.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.
 
 
 
Here are some recipe saving ingredients I have found that I really like.  Give them a try!
A healthy alternative to sugar/high fructose corn syrup laden Ketchup
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have used this soup for this meatloaf recipe and I used it in a cabbage roll stoup recipe, also.



 
 
 


No comments: