Sunday, August 11, 2013

Office Party Survival Tips

Last night I went to a party for the first time since I started The Virgin Diet.  Now, I know I had my husband's birthday party last week but that was different.  His party was at my house AND I was in complete control of the menu AND I did all of the cooking.  The party last night was at a co-worker's house and it was a variety of appetizers that were brought by many different people.

As stupid as this may sound, I was really nervous.  I wasn't sure how I survive in a social setting.  Would I throw caution to the wind and eat the grape jelly meatballs?  Would I break down and shove my face full of brownies?  Would my nerves get the best of me and need to be calmed with a giant bucket of strawberry margaritas? 

In the past when going to a party, I would never even try to stick to whatever diet I was trying out at the time.  I would always take a day off so I could enjoy myself and eat all the yummy indulgences.  If I were in the midst of just another "diet", I'm sure I would have had the same reaction last night; however, things are different now.  I have learned that eating certain types of foods will make me sick.  It's amazing how much resolve that gives me.

When planning for my evening, I thought through my choices and made a game plan.  It really seemed to help me come through unscathed and I wanted to share some tips with you.

  1. Eat a light meal before you go.
  2. Drink water before you go.  I even took a cup of water with me.
  3. BRING YOUR OWN SNACKS!!!!!!! (Things you know you can eat)
  4. Limit the alcohol.  You can have a drink but don't go overboard.
  5. Don't mix drinks with sweet juices or sodas. (use LaCroix, club soda, tonic water, and/or unsweetened organic fruit juice)
  6. Don't stand around the food table.

I use to have that little voice in my head and it convinced me that eating the yumminess was part of the fun.  Imagine my surprise when I found I could have a really good time without the 7 layer dip, cookies, brownies, and Jell-O shots.  Who'd a thunk it?   

In case you are curious, here is what I took:

Beanitos Black Bean Chips and Salsa
Nut Chips and Roasted Veggie Alouette Cheese
Pear Vodka mixed with Peach Pear LaCroix and Unsweetened Organic Pineapple Juice

**I also ate some fresh fruit, some of another homemade cheese ball, AND.........5 M&M's (yes I counted them)

No comments: